I spent some time perfecting my crispy oven-baked french fries recipe and I’m so excited to share it with my Coined Crew!
Honestly, I don’t like frying things in my kitchen. It’s obviously not the healthiest, but the worst part is how your entire kitchen smells like fried food afterward. Not to mention, safely disposing of the oil is a hassle. You guys know I’m all about making cooking as easy as possible.
My air fryer is great but not as big for the number of fries that I eat, so into the oven these go! The secret trick to the perfect crisp is all about the oven temperature. We’re going to start cooking them at 375°F, and then turn up the heat after 15 minutes to 425°F! I also season my fries before cooking…I just feel in my heart that they taste better that way, but feel free to wait and season once they are done if you prefer.
On the days where I’m feeling really lazy, I’m not ashamed to say I’ll have a big plate of these (and nothing else) for dinner. And they are completely Whole30! Serve these alongside any main dish you please – crispy oven-baked french fries go with everything, right?
Let me know in the comments – are you team fry or team bake/grill?
Shani’s note: So I recently got a much bigger air-fryer and now I can try out some of my older recipes in my new gadget! I’m definitely leaving this recipe as is, because it’s still great for big batches… but you can follow the steps below up until Step 4, then add to your air-fryer and follow the cooking directions given for fries!
Crispy Oven-Baked French Fries (Whole30!)
- 2 ct. russet potatoes large
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Wash potatoes and slice into evenly cut matchstick shapes. I like to leave the skin on for extra fiber, but you can peel the skin if you prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add potatoes to a large bowl and cover with room temperature water. Drain, and then add more water and let soak for about 20 minutes. This helps remove starch from the potatoes which give it the crispy texture we want.
- Drain and completely dry your potatoes. Toss with olive oil and a bit of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and a little cooking spray.
- Add potatoes to the baking sheet, leaving some room in between each fry.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then turn the oven to 425°F and continue baking until fries are crispy and done through.
- Season again if needed. Serve with your favorite dips and enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $0.36
- Total Cost (4 servings): $1.44
- Those Other Guys: $2.99 a serving