Get your fry fix without breaking out your deep fryer and tons of oil – these Crispy Oven-Baked French Fries make the perfect side dish or snack!
You’re going to absolutely love these French fries – the perfect amount of crunch, no big appliances or tons of vegetable oil needed, and very hands-off cooking. While these babies are baking in the oven, you have your hands free to make the main dish!
How to Make Oven Baked Fries Crispy
During my recipe testing, I discovered the perfect tips and tricks to get fantastic tasting, crispy oven-baked french fries every time.
- Soaking the Starch. You want to start by washing, slicing, and soaking your potatoes in a big bowl of lukewarm water. Soaking off the starch helps get the final firm, crispy texture we’re looking for. Be sure to pat completely dry before baking.
- Parchment Paper. I’ve found that parchment paper is the best vessel for oven-baked fries… The potatoes will stick pretty badly to a sheet pan or aluminum foil; but with parchment paper, they can easily be stirred around or removed.
- Seasoning After Cooking. Adding salt to the potatoes while they cook causes the potatoes to release some moisture. Season after the fries are done.
- Temperature Change. This is the biggest tip of all! Start baking the fries at 375°F so they can fully cook on the inside, then crank up the temperature to 425°F for the remainder of the time to get the crispy outside you want!
Also, be sure to cut the fries into even pieces so everything cooks at the same time. You can make these with peeled potatoes or leave the skin on like I do.
On the days where I’m feeling really lazy, I’m not ashamed to say I’ll have a big plate of these (and nothing else) for dinner. And they are completely Whole30! Serve these alongside any main dish you please – crispy oven-baked french fries go with everything, right?
Let me know in the comments – are you team deep fry or team baked fries?
Other Quick Side Dishes You’ll Love!
Crispy Oven-Baked French Fries (Whole30!)
- 4 ct. russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. salt more to taste
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Wash potatoes and slice into evenly cut matchstick shapes. I like to leave the skin on for extra fiber, but you can peel the skin if you prefer.
- Add potatoes to a large bowl and cover with room temperature water. Drain, and then add more water and let soak for about 20 minutes to remove the starch.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Drain and completely dry your potatoes; then, toss with the vegetable oil.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and a little cooking spray.
- Add the potatoes to the baking sheet, leaving some room in between each fry.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, then turn the oven to 425°F and continue baking another 15-25 minutes until fries are crispy and done through.
- Season with the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $0.31
- Total Cost (6 servings): $1.84
- Those Other Guys: $4.99 a serving