I haven’t been to a certain seafood-themed chain restaurant in a few years (and I won’t say their name here)… but if there’s one thing I think about eating every time I pass by a location, it’s their delicious Cheddar Drop Biscuits! Luckily, I show my Coined Crew how to make them at home for a fraction of the cost – but keeping ALL of the flavors.
I’m a bread girl. Point blank period – whether it’s biscuits, rolls, croissants… any place that serves you bread before the meal is a plus for me. And whenever we went to this seafood spot, I would definitely get full off of these biscuits and a salad before I even got my meal.
While I was shredding up some cheese for my broccoli cheddar soup recipe, the idea to create these babies popped into my head. Of course, I had to follow through. The easiest biscuit recipes are drop biscuit ones – simply mix everything to create a dough, chill, then use a spoon and divide the dough into biscuit portions.
I definitely recommend shredding the cheddar cheese yourself instead of grabbing pre-shredded cheese from the store. You’ll get a much better flavor and texture since we’re not including the preservatives found in the store-bought stuff.
In addition, I’ve found that brushing on some garlic butter before baking really takes these to the next level. First, simply melt a bit of unsalted butter and mix in some Italian seasoning to taste. Brush these on the raw dough balls right before baking. Any extra butter can be used to dip/spread on the biscuits when they are fresh out of the oven – omg!
These Cheddar Drop Biscuits only take about 30 minutes total, including chill time. The dough also freezes pretty well; so if you don’t have self-control with bread (you’re not the only one!), you can portion out the dough a little at a time!
Other Recipes for my Fellow Bread Lovers!
Cheddar Drop Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter cold, cubed or grated
- 1 ½ cup sharp or medium cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients.
- Add in cold butter. Using your hands (and gloves to avoid mess), mix in the butter until combined.
- Stir in the cheese until well distributed. Pour in the buttermilk and stir until a dough forms.
- Let the dough chill in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.
- Add spoonfuls of dough to a prepared baking sheet. Brush melted garlic butter onto the dough balls.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until completely baked. Serve warm and enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $0.91
- Total Cost (4 servings): $3.64
- Those Other Guys: $6.99 per serving