These Crispy Air Fried Tofu Bowls are going to be your most addicting lunch! Super healthy, packed with veggies and protein, and very customizable – it makes a wonderful recipe to meal prep ahead of time, then assemble when you’re ready to grub!
These crispy tofu power bowls are everything you need in a healthy meal option! We’re going to take extra-firm tofu, season it, cube it up and air fry it (with no added oil!) The bowls can be customized to your preference – but to make it balanced, try and add a grain, tons of veggies, and healthy fats. It’s simply amazing!
- Extra-Firm Tofu – There’s tons of different types of tofu available in the grocery store, and they all have their purpose. For this recipe, we want to make crispy tofu squares; so you’ll need the extra-firm variety.
- Cornstarch– A little bit of cornstarch really helps the tofu get a super crispy outside (without drying out the inside) especially since we’re not frying them in oil. Don’t skip this ingredient!
- Roasted Red Peppers – These are so easy to make yourself! Simply wash and core some red bell peppers, making sure to remove the seeds. Cut them into fourths and then roast with a little drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. The skins will have a slight char and the veggies will be slightly sweet!
How to Make Crispy Tofu in the Air Fryer
Let me give you the best tips on how to get crispy tofu using an air fryer.
But first – why the air fryer?
Air fried tofu has less calories because you aren’t pan frying it in oil. Cooking tofu in the air fryer also makes your meal mostly hands-off – no need to stand over a pan and flip the tofu cubes for even browning!
- First, start with extra-firm tofu. Tofu comes naturally packed in water, so moving on to Step 2…
- Draining! You want to drain the tofu as much as possible before we cook it. I’ve found the best way is to drain on a few paper towels in the blocks that it comes in, then cube the tofu and drain once more. Total time for this should be about 20 minutes.
- By now, you have cubed and drained tofu. Season with some all-purpose seasoning, garlic powder, and chili powder, then gently toss the cubes in a bowl large enough to cover every side.
- Take your cornstarch and cover the tofu the same way – by tossing in the bowl. Now, we’re ready to air fry!
- Set your air fryer to 400°F. Add the tofu to your basket, being sure not to overcrowd, and add just a couple sprays of non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stopping halfway to shake the basket and ensure that each side gets crispy. That’s it!
I love this recipe because the tofu cubes can easily be reheated, so this makes a great healthy meal prep lunch or dinner idea.
My bowls usually have roasted red peppers, roasted broccoli/brussel sprouts, and avocado. Then, I drizzle some homemade balsamic vinaigrette on top!
Yep! Take a large skillet or wok, then add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Add the tofu cubes in (be sure not to overcrowd) and fry on medium-high heat for 25 minutes or so, being sure to occasionally flip the cubes so they brown on each side.
Yes, these bowls are super customizable! Try using quinoa, brown rice, or salad greens as a base. Substitute the veggies out for asparagus, brussel sprouts, or cauliflower. And for healthy fats, try a homemade vinaigrette or avocado. Add your favorite sauce on top as well!
Make all of your ingredients – the tofu, grains, veggies, and sauces – then store separately. When you’re ready to eat, you can pop the tofu & veggies back in the air fryer for a few minutes to reheat while microwaving your grains. Assemble the bowls and you have a fresh, healthy lunch or dinner ready to go.
Other Healthy Lunches You’ll Love!
Crispy Air Fried Tofu Bowls
Crispy Air-Fried Tofu
- 30 oz. extra firm tofu
- ½ tbsp. garlic powder
- ½ tbsp. all-purpose seasoning I love using Goya
- ½ tbsp. chili powder
- 1 ½ tbsp. corn starch
- 2 ct. red bell peppers
- 2 cups broccoli crowns
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice
Crispy Air-Fried Tofu
- Drain the tofu with paper towels, about 20 or so minutes. Slice it into equal-sized cubes and add to a large bowl.
- Season with the garlic powder, all-purpose, and chili powder. Cover the bowl with a lid and toss gently.
- Pour in the cornstarch and toss gently once more until all tofu pieces are completely covered.
- Add to your air fryer basket (be sure not to overcrowd) and spray with a bit of non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook each batch at 400°F for 20 minutes, stirring the basket halfway through and spraying a little more cooking spray.
- While the tofu is air frying, remove the core and seeds from the red bell peppers. Slice into fourths and add to a baking sheet.
- Add the broccoli crowns to the baking sheet as well. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt + pepper, and roast at 400°F for about 20 minutes or until the veggies begin to char.
- Cut the bell peppers into slices.
- Assemble the bowls with cooked rice, roasted veggies, and crispy tofu. Serve with your favorite sauces: I love a balsamic vinaigrette, sriracha, or yum-yum sauce. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per bowl: $3.16
- Total Cost (4 servings): $12.63
- Those Other Guys: $14.99 per bowl