These easy Breakfast Tacos are such a hit! Made with chicken sausage, fluffy scrambled eggs, crumbled cotija cheese, and your favorite taco-themed toppings – you can have a Insta-worthy breakfast or brunch ready to go in about 30 minutes!
Tacos are amazing for any time of the day… so let’s whip up a batch of tasty breakfast tacos for the family! We’re going to make these with corn tortillas, your favorite sausage (I love chicken sausage for a lighter meal!), fluffy scrambled eggs, spicy salsa, cotija cheese, and tons of fresh cilantro & lime juice. You can make these in under 30 minutes, which makes a great option for a weekday or weekend breakfast!
- Corn Tortillas – I love how authentically Mexican corn tortillas taste! I made these with the street taco-sized tortillas, but you can substitute with flour if you prefer.
- Chicken Sausage – If you’re a longtime member of the Coined Crew, you know that Delia’s chicken sausage is my go-to for breakfast recipes! Any type of ground sausage would work beautifully in this recipe.
- Eggs – We’re going to scramble the eggs for this recipe – low and slow is the key to the fluffiest eggs.
- Salsa – I have an amazing fire-roasted salsa recipe on the blog that goes amazing on top of these breakfast tacos! However, you can use store-bought in a pinch.
- Cotija Cheese – Authentic cotija cheese is a perfect addition to these sausage and egg breakfast tacos. You can also substitute for shredded pepper jack, taco blend, or any other cheese you prefer.
How to Make Sausage, Egg, & Cheese Breakfast Tacos
You can have these simple breakfast tacos on the table in under 30 minutes! Tacos are pretty easy as a recipe, so let’s talk about a few tips to take your tacos from bland to restaurant-quality:
- Toast your tortillas. Tortillas out of the bag are plain and flimsy! Take just a few minutes to toast your tortillas in a pan or over a flame for extra flavor and texture.
- Cook your ground sausage. Cook the sausage fully and use a spatula to make sausage crumbles. The sausage will also give off lots of oil while cooking; be sure to save a little of it to cook your eggs in for even more flavor!
- Scramble the eggs. Using a little bit of the sausage oil, slowly scramble your eggs over low heat. Add a pinch of salt and pepper towards the end, and remove the eggs from heat so they don’t continue cooking.
- Assemble! Take your heated tortillas, and top with the sausage and eggs. Follow up with a generous sprinkle of your favorite cheese, some salsa, jalapeños for a kick, and fresh cilantro. Serve with lime slices and extra hot sauce!
Substitutes and Customizations
- Extra Veggies – Try adding in some sautéed spinach for extra fiber and iron, or some bell peppers and onions for a Tex-Mex feel!
- Switch up the Egg – Instead of scrambled eggs, you could top each taco with a fried egg with a crispy edge! Top with flaky salt and fresh cracked black pepper? Delicious!
- Other Proteins – Instead of ground sausage, you could do chopped bacon, carnitas, or even spiced crumbled tofu.
- Cheese me, Please – This recipe uses crumbled cotija cheese, but you can go crazy with your favorite type of shredded or crumbled cheese! Maybe try shredded taco mix cheese or Colby jack, or crumbled feta.
- Sauces – Fire-roasted salsa, chunky salsa, a dollop of sour cream, or even some chimichurri would take these tacos to a new level.
Other Easy, Delicious Breakfasts You’ll Love!
Easy Breakfast Tacos
- 12 ct. corn tortillas street taco size
- 16 oz. ground breakfast sausage chicken, turkey, pork, or veggie!
- 5 ct. eggs
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- salsa homemade or store-bought
- cotija cheese
- fresh chopped cilantro
- lime slices
- refried beans
- avocado slices
- pickled jalapeños
- Start out by toasting your corn tortillas on both sides in a plain skillet on medium heat.
- Remove, then add the ground sausage to the same skillet. Cook until the sausage is completely done, and crumble into small pieces with a spatula.
- Drain and remove the sausage. Take a paper towel and remove most of the oil from the skillet – we'll cook the eggs in a little bit of the oil for flavor.
- Crack your eggs in a bowl and add about ⅛ cup of water. Whisk the eggs until smooth.
- Turn the heat to low. Pour the eggs into the skillet and scramble them to your preferred level of doneness. Season with the salt & pepper and set aside.
- Assemble your tacos with the sausage, eggs, fire-roasted salsa, cheese, cilantro, and your preferred toppings (see above for some suggestions.) Serve with fresh lime wedges and enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $1.40
- Total Cost (4 servings): $5.61
- Those Other Guys: $14.99 per serving