Greek food is one of my favorite meals to eat, and this Greek Chicken Gyros recipe will NOT disappoint! From the juicy chicken thighs, to the homemade tzatziki, Greek salad, and crispy fries – you’re going to absolutely clean your plate. And this is a fantastic meal idea for work from home lunches!
There’s something about a gyro that just DOES it for me. Am I alone?? My favorite takeout choice is a lamb gyro, but I love to make chicken gyros at home for a super easy and flavorful meal! These wraps are stuffed with lean protein, tons of veggies, and a creamy homemade tzatziki sauce to bring everything together. You’re going to want to grab your ingredients from the store now… promise!
- Chicken Thighs – I love to use juicy chicken thighs for this recipe. We’re going to season them with Mediterranean-inspired spices, then brown the outsides for flavor and appearance. Let the chicken rest before slicing!
- Greek Salad – To get all of our veggies, we’re going to make a quick Greek salad. Cut up cucumber, tomatoes, and red onion; season, and stir in some olive oil and feta cheese. It tastes even better after sitting in the fridge for a bit.
- French Fries – This is optional – but having some thin, crispy French fries in the gyros just really takes it to the next level. I make mine homemade using the air fryer, but feel free to grab some frozen ones and prepare per the bag instructions.
- Flatbread– You can actually make this yourself if you want – I have a delicious recipe here – but when I’m running short on time, I just grab a pack of flatbread circles from the bread section of my grocery store.
- Tzatziki – Check out this recipe for my homemade tzatziki sauce. The trick is to drain the shredded cucumber so you don’t have all that extra moisture! The sauce is great to put on the wrap and also to dip each bite into.
How to Make Chicken Gyros at Home
This is one of those recipes where a little bit of prep time on the front end leads to GREAT results. Here’s my trick:
Start out by making the items that can sit in the fridge. First, you’re going to season and marinate your chicken in the refrigerator. While that is marinating, make your tzatziki sauce; seal and pop that in the fridge. Then, move on to your Greek salad. Just chop up all the veggies, add in your liquids and feta cheese, then stir and season to taste. That can go in the fridge as well!
Now, it should be time to cook your chicken. Use my instructions below, and be sure to broil it for a few minutes to get that char. (If you have a grill, that’s even better!) Let the chicken rest for a few minutes so all the juices stay inside, then chop.
Finally, it’s time for assembly. Take a warmed flatbread wrap or garlic naan, spread some tzatziki on it, then add your chicken, fries, and Greek salad. I usually wrap these up in parchment paper so they are a bit easier to eat.
That’s it! The best part is, you can make a bunch and have all the ingredients stored in the fridge for easy assembly. You can have a workday lunch in about 3 minutes – it’s lovely!
Other Healthy Lunches You’ll Love!
Greek Chicken Gyros
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 3 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 ct. Roma tomato
- ½ ct. cucumber
- ⅓ ct. red onion
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Gyro Assembly & Fries
- 4 ct. flatbread wraps
- homemade tzatziki sauce (see my recipe link)
- 2 ct. russet potatoes for fries
- Add the seasonings, 2 tsp. of olive oil, and the lemon juice to your chicken thighs. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, chop your tomato, cucumber, and onion into small pieces. In a large bowl, add the veggies, feta cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir well, cover, and let sit in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve.
- Add the remaining 1 tsp. of olive oil to a large pan on medium heat. Cook your marinated chicken for about 14 minutes, flipping halfway, until cooked through.
- I like to broil my chicken for another 2-3 minutes in the oven to get a beautiful golden-brown crust. Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes, then chop.
- If you're making homemade French fries, take the russet potatoes and use my Crispy-Oven Baked French Fry recipe to cook them! You can also use your air fryer.
- If you're using frozen fries, simply follow package directions to cook them fully.
- Finally, warm up the flatbread wraps for about 30 seconds in the microwave or on the oven.
- Assemble your gyros: wrap, homemade tzatziki sauce, chicken, greek salad, and French fries. Serve with more tzatziki and enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $3.20
- Total Cost (4 servings): $10.81
- Those Other Guys: $14.99