This recipe for One-Skillet Chicken Thighs & Rice is a STAPLE in my dinner rotation. It’s such an easy one-pot meal that is cheap and full of flavor! Be sure to pair this with a green veggie of your choice for a well-rounded meal.
The absolute best part of this One-Skillet Chicken Thighs & Rice dish? Only one pot/pan to clean!
You guys know how much I love cooking but hate washing dishes lol. It’s such a conflict, but I grew up hand washing & wiping the counters/stove/fridge & sweeping after each night – so cleaning the kitchen and having a million dishes would always have me anxious.
I’ve recently found a love of chicken thighs too… In most of my recipes, I stick to my trusty chicken breasts. But these chicken thighs?? OMG! Juicy. Easy to cook. And the crispy skin on top is *chef’s kiss*. They also don’t cost a lot at all in the store!
Being lazy one day, I decided to try and create a recipe for Chicken Thighs and Rice that can be made all in one cast-iron skillet. Something where the chicken was beautifully seared, the rice was perfectly cooked, and everything was seasoned to perfection. Voila!
How to Make Chicken & Rice in the Same Skillet
One of the tricks to a perfect One-Skillet Chicken & Rice dish is to sear the chicken (but not fully cook it until it’s dry) and then let the thighs finish cooking in the chicken stock/rice.
Also, covering up the skillet for the first portion of baking ensures your rice steams properly – don’t lift the foil/lid to peep before it’s time!
Serve this with my sheet pan-roasted asparagus, roasted broccoli, or brussels sprouts.
I’m also trying a new thing: I list the seasonings I used in the ingredients tab for you guys. I’ll list the measurements I used, but as always, make sure you adjust for your personal dietary restrictions/tastes! Let me know if you guys like the change, or if it’s making the recipe card too long… I always hear y’all and your opinions!
Other Easy Weeknight Dinners
One-Skillet Chicken Thighs & Rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. harissa seasoning
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. jerk powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 ct. chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Take the listed seasonings (besides the pinch of oregano & salt) and rub them into the chicken thighs. Marinate for at least 15 minutes, up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat on medium heat.
- Sear the chicken thighs, skin side down, for 10-13 minutes until they are browned.
- Remove (they will still be undercooked) and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add rice, minced garlic, and a pinch of oregano + salt.
- Cook for about 2 minutes until browned.
- Pour in chicken stock and keep cooking until the mixture is simmering.
- Add chicken, skin side up, to the top of your rice mixture. Cover securely with foil, and bake for 35 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet, stir up the rice, and cook for another 10 minutes or so until done. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $1.68
- Total Cost (4 servings): $6.72
- Those Other Guys: $14.99 per serving