The absolute best part of this One-Skillet Chicken Thighs & Rice dish? Only one pot/pan to clean!
You guys know how much I love cooking, but hate washing dishes lol. It’s such a conflict, but I grew up hand washing & wiping the counters/stove/fridge & sweeping after each night – so cleaning the kitchen and having a million dishes would always have me anxious.
I’ve recently found a love of chicken thighs too… In most of my recipes, I stick to my trusty chicken breasts. But these chicken thighs?? OMG! Juicy. Easy to cook. And the crispy skin on top is *chef’s kiss*. They also don’t cost a lot at all in the store!
Being lazy one day, I decided to try and create a recipe for Chicken Thighs and Rice that can be made all in one cast-iron skillet. Something where the chicken was beautifully seared, the rice was perfectly cooked, and everything was seasoned to perfection.
Voila! One of the tricks is to sear the chicken (but not fully cook it until it’s dry) and then let the thighs finish cooking in the chicken stock/rice. Also, covering up the skillet for the first portion of baking makes sure your rice steams properly – don’t lift the foil/lid to peep before it’s time!
Serve this with my sheet pan-roasted asparagus, or roasted broccoli, or brussels sprouts.
I’m also trying a new thing where I list the seasonings I used in the ingredients tab for you guys. I’ll list the measurements I used, but as always, make sure you adjust for your personal dietary restrictions/tastes! Let me know if you guys like the change, or if it’s making the recipe card too long… I always hear y’all!
One-Skillet Chicken Thighs & Rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. harissa seasoning
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. jerk powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 4 ct. chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Take the listed seasonings and rub them into the chicken thighs. Marinate for at least 15 minutes, up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat on medium heat.
- Sear the chicken thighs, skin side down, for 10-13 minutes until they are browned.
- Remove (they will still be undercooked) and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add rice, minced garlic, and a pinch of oregano + salt.
- Cook for about 2 minutes until browned.
- Pour in chicken stock and keep cooking until the mixture is simmering.
- Add chicken, skin side up, to the top of your rice mixture. Cover securely with foil, and bake for 35 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet, stir up the rice, and cook for another 10 minutes or so until done. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $1.68
- Total Cost (4 servings): $6.72
- Those Other Guys: $12.99 per serving