Updated: 14 hours ago
Yep - another shrimp recipe. I can't be stopped!
All jokes aside, you guys know I love all things shrimp. Pappadeaux used to have this coconut shrimp appetizer on their menu that was amazing!
Unfortunately, I don't think they serve it anymore. I had to put my creativity into gear and come up with something I can whip up at home... and it came out so well!
Make sure you use Panko bread crumbs instead of normal ones; this keeps the breading extra crispy. Also, you can season your shrimp as well as the breading if you prefer. I like to only season the breading since I also dip my shrimp in sauces.
I included instructions for air-frying and regular frying. If you fry these in oil, be sure to let drain on a paper towel before serving. Serve this with french fries and your favorite dipping sauce. Let's get into it!
Shrimp, Large | about 25 ct. | $8.99
Panko Bread Crumbs | 3/4 cup | $1.21
Unsweetened Shredded Coconut | 1 cup | $2.07
All-Purpose Flour | 1/2 cup | $0.02
Eggs, Large | 2 ct. | $0.22
Lime | 1/2 ct. | $0.10
1. In a large and shallow bowl, combine panko bread crumbs and shredded coconut.
2. In another bowl, whisk eggs until beaten. Squeeze 1/2 of the lime into the eggs for a hint of tropical flavor.
3. In one more bowl, add flour. Season with salt + pepper + a pinch of paprika.
4. Dredge the shrimp in flour, then dunk into the egg mixture, then dredge in the coconut mixture. Be sure to press the coconut mixture fully onto the shrimp so it's covered completely.
5. Add shrimp to the air fryer and cook in batches according to your air fryer instructions. My air fryer worked best at 375°F for about 5 minutes. You want your shrimp to be golden brown.
Don't have an air fryer? You can fry normally - heat some vegetable oil in a
pot over medium-high heat. Fry until golden brown, for 3-5 minutes.
6. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce - I love a good sweet chili sauce with this. Enjoy!
Try these with my homemade oven-baked fries for a treat!
The Coined Breakdown
Total Cost per serving: $3.15
Total Cost (4 servings): $12.61
Those Other Guys: $9.99 per serving