Updated: Oct 9
I'm officially halfway through my second round of Whole30.
This round, it's all about finding new recipes that I love (not going to lie, my first round I ate WAY too many potatoes...) I really wanted a burger, but didn't want red meat, and came across ground chicken in the meat section of my local Kroger.
Wow, why didn't anyone tell me how good this is? Ground chicken is still juicy, can be used in place of ground beef or turkey in any recipe, and is actually cheaper than the ground turkey options! I ended up creating a bowl to satisfy my burger cravings, and that turned into my regular lunch that I looked forward to all week! This was so good, guys.
For this recipe, you can use any sort of meat and substitute any of the veggies that you want, really. Happy Whole15 - here's to 15 days more! Have you ever completed a Whole30?
Green Beans | 8 oz. | $0.75
Ground Chicken | 16 oz. | $3.79
Eggs (Large) | 4 ct. | $0.44
White Mushrooms | 6 oz. | $3.00
Medium Avocado | 2 ct. | $1.58
Cherry Tomatoes, halved | 6 oz. | $1.20
Olive Oil | 2 tbsp. | $0.21
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray.
2. Place green beans on the lined cookie sheet. Season to taste (some great ideas: lemon pepper, garlic, or just salt & pepper) and pour a bit of olive oil on them. Massage your veggies to distribute the seasonings and then line up on the cookie sheet. Roast for about 15 minutes or until soft.
3. While your green beans are roasting, add about 1 tbsp. of olive oil to a skillet. Season with your favorite burger blend & cook ground chicken through on medium heat. (You can make this with either portioned burgers, or ground up like taco meat - it works great both ways!) Set aside.
4. In the same skillet, add a bit more olive oil. Sauté the mushrooms and cherry tomatoes; add a bit of salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
5. Spray non-stick spray on the empty skillet and crack eggs; season with salt & cracked red pepper. Fry to your preference.
6. Grab your bowls, and assemble all ingredients. Cut avocados and add last, spritzing with lemon or lime juice for a pop of freshness. Enjoy!
Looking for more Whole30 recipes? Tired of eggs every morning? Try out my Purple Rain Smoothie Bowl for a great, light breakfast choice!
The Coined Breakdown
Total Cost (4 servings): $10.97
Total Cost per bowl: $5.49
Those Other Guys: $13.00 a bowl
Total Savings: over $40 in lunch or dinner savings!