Updated: Oct 9
It's been rainy and chilly outside, UGH.
The only redeeming qualities of weather like this honestly revolves around food & comfort: hot cocoa, a big blanket, fuzzy socks, and soup!
I love me a good soup recipe, year-round. And when I had a craving for pot pie (but didn't really want a whole bunch of bread) I thought why not make it into soup form??
Make this chicken pot pie soup when you have no energy to put together a meal. You can use a rotisserie chicken that's already cooked and seasoned for you, and basically dump all your ingredients into a pot while it does the work for you.
I beefed it up with the addition of potatoes since I don't have any pie crust on top (normal pot pie should not both have crust and potatoes - period!) to make sure you're satisfied. And did I mention this is completely dairy-free? Another lightened up recipe thanks to the power of coconut milk. For those of you doing a Fall/Winter Whole30 (I just may join you...) add this to your meal plan!
Shredded Chicken, seasoned | 1 cup | $1.27
Frozen Peas & Carrots| 12 oz. | $1.00
Red Potatoes, chopped small | 5 ct. | $1.76
Coconut Milk | 13.5 oz. | $1.39
Bouillon Cube | 1 ct. | $0.09
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil | 1 tbsp. | $0.11
1. Heat a large pot on medium heat and add olive oil.
2. Add frozen veggies and red potatoes to the pot and sauté for about 6 minutes. Season with adobo seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and a bit of basil.
3. Add your seasoned shredded chicken and pour in the can of coconut milk. Fill the empty cup with water, and pour that in. Add your bouillon cube and stir until fully incorporated.
4. Taste the soup and adjust seasonings to your preference. After it begins bubbling, turn heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes to fully incorporate all your flavors. Your potatoes should be fully cooked through as well.
5. Serve on its own or with a biscuit to imitate the pot pie experience. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
Total Cost per serving: $0.94
Total Cost (6 servings): $5.62
Those Other Guys: $6.99 per serving