Updated: Oct 9
For the 2nd installment of my music smoothie bowl series, I present to you - the Grass Ain't Greener smoothie bowl! So I know a lot of people see this as problematic, but hear me out... From the moment that Chris Brown released "Run It!" on 106 & Park, I've been obsessed. I was that kid who had his magazine covers in all of my binders in school. Imagine my heartbreak when his personal life took a dark turn around 2009.
I don't advocate for violence and anger at all, but after years of sincere apologies, community service, and the birth of his daughter who I think had a great influence on him... I'm really okay with separating his art from some of his demons. He honestly is an amazing music artist and I'm dedicating this bowl to this song, okay?!
Anywho, regardless of your music taste, this recipe is a must-try! The pistachios added such a nice crunch and flavor, and I couldn't help but stick with the green color theme as well.
Because I upped the amount of frozen ripe bananas, it was naturally sweetened without any additives! Similar to my Purple Rain Smoothie Bowl, whether you're on Whole30 or not you'll love this for breakfast or brunch.
Do you have a problematic artist that you can't help but listen to sometimes? Let me know in the comments!
Sliced Banana, frozen | 2 ct. | $0.42
Kiwi, sliced | 2 ct | $1.38
Chopped Spinach | 1 cup. | $0.56
Almond Milk | 2 tbsp | $0.05
Strawberries, chopped | 3 ct. | $0.25
Shredded Coconut | 2 oz. | $0.62
Pistachios | 1/4 cup | 2.61
1. Place your bowl in the refrigerator.
2. In a blender, add frozen banana, kiwi, and spinach. Blend until it has a choppy consistency. [Pro tip: to get your toppings to perfectly sit on top, your smoothie base has to be thick. The way we are going to blend these ingredients keeps the texture we need]
3. Add almond milk a little at a time until you get to a thick, spoon-worthy consistency.
4. Add smoothie base to the cold bowl. If your kitchen is warm, put your bowl back in the fridge to ensure it stays cool.
5. Chop and slice your toppings. This is where you can use your creative freedom - granola, honey, almond butter, slivered nuts, your favorite fruits - anything tastes great on top of this base!
6. Grab your bowl and top with the prepared toppings. Snap a picture for the 'gram, show off your delicious food art, and enjoy!
I try to follow a "balanced plate formula" which means that there are protein, fruit, and veggies represented for every meal. Try pairing this smoothie bowl with my freezer prepped SEC breakfast sandwiches - just heat up for 1.5 minutes in the microwave while you assemble your bowl!
The Coined Breakdown
Total Cost (1 serving): $5.89
Total Cost per bowl: $5.89
Those Other Guys: $14.00 a bowl
Total Savings: about $10 in breakfast savings!