Updated: Oct 9
If you've read my Chicken Burger Bowls recipe, you know I have a newfound love for ground chicken. I try to limit my red meat intake, and ground chicken tastes so good and cooks just like its beef/turkey counterparts!
So when I wanted to try to make meatballs, I reached for a pack of ground chicken. You will not be disappointed; they are light, juicy, and super tasty! These meatballs made their way to my workday meal prep menu because they are truly easy to make and they reheat well.
Imagine the possibilities - served over mashed potatoes with homemade gravy, slow-cooked party-style, alongside some roasted veggies, or even in spaghetti? I'm drooling! These are also dairy-free, but sometimes I add nutritional yeast for a little razzle-dazzle of cheesy flavor.
Next time you're in the meat section of your local grocer, see if they have some ground chicken and give this recipe a try. And don't forget, you can always make extra and freeze these!
Ground Chicken | 1 lb | $3.79
Eggs | 1 ct. | $0.11
Breadcrumbs | ½ cup | $0.32
Olive Oil | 2 tbsp. | $0.22
1. Set oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix using a spoon. I like to season here with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
3. Roll mixture into about 1-inch balls. For consistency, use a small ice cream scoop to grab the mixture for each ball.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes. Meatballs will have a nice golden brown color when done.
5. Remove from oven and serve with your favorite sides or sauces. Enjoy!
To freeze, ensure meatballs are completely cooled. Normally I recommend freezing in a single layer on a cookie sheet before adding them all to a freezer bag, but I've had success just dumping these in! A couple may freeze together but they break apart where they are supposed to pretty easily. Reheat in the microwave for about 1.5 - 2 minutes until warmed through.
The Coined Breakdown
Total Cost per serving (6 meatballs): $1.11
Total Cost (about 24 meatballs): $4.44
Those Other Guys: $13.99 per serving
Total Savings: over $50 in dinner/appetizer savings!