Ahh, oatmeal... Customizable, healthy, cheap. One of my favorite breakfast options.
I got a little bored with my normal bowl of oatmeal made from my homemade instant oatmeal packets and since the cooler weather makes me crave more warm and fulfilling dishes, I just had to try out baked oatmeal!
Yep, this recipe is an absolute keeper. It's one bowl and pretty hands-off as far as baking. I'm imagining so many different flavor combinations, too...
Since I always have peanut butter and some sort of jam in the kitchen, why not throw it back to childhood with a PB&J flavored oatmeal bake?
So feel free to use your favorite jam flavors (or try my recipe for strawberry or blueberry - linked below) and your favorite brand of peanut butter. For those allergic to peanuts, try almond butter as a substitute!
Peanut Butter | 1/2 cup | $0.31
Almond Milk | 1 cup | $0.19
Maple Syrup | 3 tbsp. | $0.20
Coconut Oil, melted | 1 tbsp. | $0.15
Egg, Large | 1 ct. | $0.11
1-Minute Oats | 2 cups | $0.71
Baking Powder | 1/2 tsp. | $0.01
Cinnamon | 1/2 tsp. | $0.04
Salt | a pinch | $0.01
Strawberry Preserves | 3/4 cup | $1.80
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Melt the peanut butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave. If you're using natural peanut butter, you can skip this step.
3. Add peanut butter, almond milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, and the egg to a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly until all ingredients are combined.
4. Pour in oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and stir until thoroughly combined.
5. Prepare a baking pan or cast-iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
6. Pour half of your peanut butter oats mixture into the pan. Drop half of the preserves on top with a spoon and swirl to create a marble effect. Pour the rest of the oats mixture on top and repeat with the remaining preserves.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. The oats should be golden brown and a knife in the center should come out clean.
8. Slice and enjoy! Leftovers can be kept in the fridge and reheated in the microwave.
The Coined Breakdown
Total Cost per serving: $0.59
Total Cost (6 slices): $3.53
Those Other Guys: $3.99 per slice