Updated: Oct 9
Creamy, dreamy mashed potatoes... it's time I posted a recipe on these.
I can't think of anyone who doesn't like mashed potatoes?? Are those aliens real and out there?
Mashed potatoes go with almost every protein/main dish I can think of. They can be customized in so many different ways/taste profiles. They don't take much to make, and again - no one is going to complain over a side of mashed potatoes for dinner!
My favorite mashed potatoes have the skin still on (for an extra kick of fiber and texture) and are creamy with a few chunks mixed in for good measure. And don't forget the butter. *chef's kiss*
This recipe uses red potatoes to spice it up a bit, but the main draw to these mashed potatoes is the roasted garlic. Like, real roasted garlic!
Roasting garlic in the oven gives such a depth of flavor that really shines in mashed potatoes. I love garlic, so I'm never shy with adding to my recipes in any form (fresh, roasted, powdered.) Don't skip the roasting step - it's super quick, and takes these to the next level!
I didn't even add cheese to these, but try a mild cheddar or parmesan if you want. Also, the greek yogurt can be subbed for sour cream or even milk if you are short on ingredients (using milk, I would start out at 1/4 cup and add a little more at a time to ensure it's not too liquidy.) Let me know in the comments - what do you love to serve with your mashed potatoes?
Red Potatoes, quartered | 8 ct. | $2.99
Garlic Cloves | 4 ct. | $0.13
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil | 2 tsp. | $0.07
Salted Butter | 2 tbsp. | $0.12
Plain Greek Yogurt | 1/2 cup | $0.50
1. In a large pot, add potatoes and cover completely with water. Sprinkle some salt in the pot, and bring to a boil.
2. Cook for about 15 minutes until potatoes can be pierced with a fork.
3. While potatoes are boiling, add garlic to a small sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in the oven at 400°F until garlic is browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. After potatoes are done, drain well. Fold in the butter, greek yogurt, and garlic; mash potatoes to your desired consistency.
Be sure to use a potato masher - any strong tool like an electric mixer will make your potatoes waxy and gross!
5. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and chives. Serve warm, and enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
Total Cost per serving: $0.64
Total Cost (6 servings): $3.81
Those Other Guys: $4.99 per serving