Updated: Oct 9
You guys should know by now that during the weekdays, I like to have a pre-prepped breakfast ready to go. It's way more filling to eat a hot, balanced breakfast vs. just a piece of fruit or something; but I usually don't want to spend 20 minutes prepping & washing dishes before work!
Breakfast burritos are one of my favorite weekday breakfast recipes. You can customize them to keep variety, they can be made meat/dairy-free, and they freeze & reheat so well! Heat up these babies in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and serve with some hot sauce for a super satisfying meal that will carry you over to lunch.
Today we're going to be making southwest-style burritos with chicken sausage (are you surprised? I love anything Mexican-inspired!) Using frozen veggies, the prep for these is really minimal. As a matter of fact, I think the most difficult thing for beginners is wrapping the burrito! Try these with veggie sausage, bacon, or fresh spinach inside.
Eggs | 6 ct. | $0.66
Chicken Sausage | 4 ct. | $2.46
Bell Pepper & Onion Mix | 6 oz. | $0.60
Tortillas | 4 ct. | $1.24
1. In a large skillet, add chicken sausage patties and cook for about 8 minutes, flipping halfway.
2. Chop up sausage into bite-sized pieces.
3. In the same skillet, sauté bell peppers and onions until softened.
4. Add sausage back to the pan. Crack eggs on top and scramble to your liking. Season with taco seasoning & red pepper for a little kick.
5. Add 1/4 of filling to a tortilla and wrap tightly. Repeat with the other 3 tortillas.
6. Serve alongside your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy!
To freeze, ensure burritos are completely cooled. Wrap in parchment paper and/or aluminum foil. Store burritos in a gallon-sized freezer bag. To reheat, remove wrapping and microwave 1-3 minutes or until warm.
The Coined Breakdown
Total Cost per burrito: $1.24
Total Cost (4 burritos): $4.96
Those Other Guys: $4.99 per serving
Total Savings: over $15 in breakfast savings!