Updated: Oct 9
Back at it again with another Mexican recipe! All of my close friends and family know that if we're going out to eat, 8 times out of 10 I'm fine going to a Mexican restaurant. It's just something about that cuisine for me.
In an effort to save $10+ on takeout - and since I had all of these ingredients already in my kitchen - I set out to make my own burrito bowl for lunch today. I probably shed a tear at just how good this was and how easy it came together (dramatic, I know.)
I think the best thing about bowls is you can literally add whatever floats your boat to them and they are delicious! Don't have any corn? Get rid of that last bell pepper in your fridge and slice it up! Not doing dairy? No worries - a nondairy chipotle mayo drizzle can take the place of this cheese and you won't even know! Vegetarian/vegan? Mexican cuisine can be one of the best food options for your lifestyle!
This recipe uses my favorite protein - shrimp - and marinates it in a spicy Mexican seasoning. This looks like a lot of effort, but honestly, you're just heating up the veggies - and shrimp cooks quickly anyway. If you want to meal prep for the week, store all ingredients separately in the fridge and just assemble bowls right before eating! For fewer carbs, try subbing the rice in my cilantro-lime rice recipe for cauliflower rice or quinoa!
Copycat Cilantro-Lime Rice | 3 cups | $0.57
Shrimp, peeled & deveined | 20 oz. | $5.24
Romaine Lettuce, chopped | 4 oz. | $0.70
Canned Black Beans | 1 ct. | $0.79
Canned Sweet Corn | 1 ct. | $0.65
Avocados | 2 ct. | $1.00
Cotija Cheese* | 2 oz. | $0.84
5 Minute Chunky Homemade Salsa | 4 oz. | $0.66
Lime, quartered | 1 ct. | $0.20
*I only had feta in my fridge... and it was still delicious, don't judge me! Like I said in the intro, anything can go into your bowl :)
The base of this bowl is made with my super easy copycat cilantro-lime rice. Trust me, it takes your bowl to the next level!
1. Marinate your shrimp in taco seasoning and red pepper for about 10 minutes (I never measure spices when cooking; just go with your gut and taste buds!)
2. In a skillet on medium heat, sear shrimp for about 2 minutes on each side until done. Take off heat and set aside.
3. If you use the canned beans and corn, save some time and simply heat these up (either on the stove or in the microwave) since they are fully cooked!
4. In your bowl, create your base of chopped romaine and cilantro-lime rice (also heated until warm).
5. Top with beans, corn, shrimp, cheese, salsa, and avocado.
6. Squeeze a quarter of a lime over each bowl for a pop of citrus flavor.
7. Serve alongside tortilla/plantain chips, a heated tortilla, or just dig right in and enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
Total Cost per serving: $2.66
Total Cost (4 bowls): $10.65
Those Other Guys: $10.49 a bowl
Total Savings: over $30 in lunch/dinner savings!