The key to these creamy Roasted Garlic Red Skin Mashed Potatoes is two things: oven roasting a whole garlic bulb, and the perfect amount of heavy cream + butter!
I can’t think of anyone who doesn’t like mashed potatoes?? Are those aliens real and out there? Anywho, these Roasted Garlic Red Skin Mashed Potatoes are everything you need for the best weeknight side dish. They go with almost every protein you can think of, and your entire household will eat these up!
- Whole Head of Garlic – we’re going to start out by roasting an entire head of garlic (see below for tips and tricks on how to roast garlic in the oven.) That will give us a great depth of flavor for our mashed potatoes.
- Red Potatoes – Red potatoes are the base of this dish… and we’re leaving them skin-on for extra fiber and texture!
- Heavy Cream – A combination of heavy cream and milk (I used almond milk) gives our mashed potatoes that creamy texture you want.
- Salt + Pepper + Butter – It’s kind of not a homemade mashed potato recipe if you don’t have salt, pepper, and butter.
- Cheese (optional) – I normally don’t include cheese, because this recipe is just so good on its own… but parmesean cheese tastes amazing in these mashed potatoes. Who doesn’t love garlic parmesan potatoes?
How to Roast Garlic (The Easy Way)
Yep, I’m going to show you how to make roasted garlic. Roasting garlic in the oven creates a depth of flavor that really shines in mashed potatoes. Don’t skip the roasting step – it’s really hands-off, and it takes plain old potatoes to the next level!
First, cut a small slice off the top of the garlic head. Drizzle it with olive oil + a pinch of salt, and wrap it up with aluminum foil. Then, simply roast it in the oven at 400°F for about 40 minutes.
You’ll start to smell this delicious garlicky scent coming from the oven. Once the roasted garlic is done, it will be silky smooth and can easily be incorporated into the mashed potatoes. Easy peasy!
Other Easy Weeknight Sides You’ll Love!
Roasted Garlic Red Skin Mashed Potaoes
- 1 ct. whole head of garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs red potatoes quartered
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- salt + black pepper to taste
- Cut a small slice off of the top of the garlic head. Set on top of a sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil (and optional flaky salt.)
- Wrap up the garlic head and roast in the oven at 400°F for 40 minutes.No need to preheat the oven!
- Wash and cube the red potatoes. In a large pot, add potatoes and cover them completely with water.
- Sprinkle some salt in the pot, and bring the water to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes until potatoes easily slide off of a fork when pierced.
- After potatoes are done, drain well. Rinse, then drain again.
- Mash the potatoes well. Squeeze the roasted garlic (it'll be very soft) into the potatoes. Fold in the butter, heavy cream, and almond milk as well.Be sure to use a potato masher – any strong tool like an electric mixer can make your potatoes waxy and gross!
- Combine everything, mashing the potatoes to your desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $0.95
- Total Cost (4 servings): $3.81
- Those Other Guys: $5.99 per serving