I honestly don’t know how we’ve gone this long at Coined Cuisine without a taco recipe… but without further ado, I present my Shrimp Jicama Tacos!
During my last Whole30 round, I honestly just had an insane craving for some tacos. If you follow me on Tiktok, you may have seen my Trader Joe’s haul video (and if you aren’t following me, hit that plus button on there! @coinedcuisine). On the video, I picked up some jicama wraps and just knew that they would come in handy for Whole30.
What the heck are jicama wraps, anyway? Jicama is a tuberous root vegetable native to Mexico. It’s super low in calories, starch, and natural sugars. The flavor is extremely neutral and can go with almost anything. Therefore, it makes the perfect substitute for tortillas in today’s recipe.
Jicama wraps are actually super easy to find in stores nowadays; no longer are they just stocked in the super health-conscious grocery stores. I picked mine up from Trader Joes, but I’ve also seen them in Sprouts and Kroger (my other two favorite places to shop.)
These wraps are a tad thinner than normal tortillas, and they come in the pack slightly moist. To get around that, we include a step in the directions to pan-fry in a bit of oil and seasonings. That way you get a similar pliable, durable wrap that holds all of our tasty ingredients together!
Speaking of ingredients – to keep this Whole30, I chose to use grilled shrimp, avocados, and this delicious 5-Ingredient Mango Salsa that I posted on the blog last week. Top it with a homemade cilantro-lime sauce (still in the works of recipe testing) and you have a fresh, light, and delicious lunch or dinner!
If you’re not doing Whole30, serve these Shrimp Jicama Tacos with a side of cilantro-lime or Mexican-style rice and black beans. Let me know in the comments – what specialty tacos would you like to see next on Coined Cuisine?
Shrimp Jicama Tacos (Whole30!)
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 18 ct. large shrimp
- 12 ct. jicama wraps
- 2 ct. avocados
- 1 ½ cup 5-Ingredient Mango Salsa recipe linked below
- ⅛ cup fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Season shrimp with taco seasoning. Add the shrimp to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway. Remove and set aside.
- Add the jicama wraps into the skillet and warm for 1-2 minutes on each side, until browned. Use additional olive oil if needed.
- While the jicama wraps are browning, cube the avocados.
- Assemble the tacos: jicama wrap, shrimp, mango salsa, and avocado chunks. Top with fresh chopped cilantro for a garnish.
- Drizzle cilantro-lime dressing (optional) and serve with lime slices. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $0.60
- Total Cost (4 servings): $2.38
- Those Other Guys: $6.99 per serving