Craving an easy and tasty breakfast on-the-go? These Southwest-Style Chicken Sausage Breakfast Burritos are IT! Filled with juicy chicken sausage, bell peppers and onions, spinach, and cheese… The best part is, these are super freezer-friendly!
You guys should know by now that during the weekdays, I like to have a pre-prepped breakfast ready to go. It’s way more filling to eat a hot, balanced breakfast vs. just a piece of fruit or something; but I usually don’t want to spend 20 minutes prepping & washing dishes before work!
Breakfast burritos are one of my favorite weekday savory breakfast recipes. You can customize them for variety, they can be made meat/dairy-free, and they freeze & reheat so well! Heat these babies in the microwave for 1-3 minutes and serve with some hot sauce for a super satisfying meal that will carry you over to lunch.
- Chicken Sausage – I love love love using Delia’s Chicken Sausage brand as a substitute for pork sausage. It’s much leaner than pork, but still has so much flavor! If you can’t find it in your grocery store, try turkey sausage or beef sausage instead.
- Bell Pepper & Onion Mix – One of my favorite hacks is using the frozen bag of chopped bell peppers and onions. It’s a perfect way to save time and dishes instead of chopping everything yourself!
- Eggs – When making these burritos, I like to add everything (including eggs) to the pan and make sort of a scramble. Since it’s all getting rolled up in the tortilla together anyway, might as well save doing extra dishes.
- Cheese – Use your favorite type of cheese for these burritos: I like peperjack, Colby jack, or the Mexican-style.
- Tortillas – Flour tortillas are the standard, but feel free to substitute them out for the carb counter or veggie style tortillas! I wouldn’t recommend corn tortillas for freezing or wrapping.
How to Make Sausage Breakfast Burritos (and Freeze Them!)
Today we’re going to be making southwest-style sausage breakfast burritos with chicken sausage instead of pork. Using frozen veggies, the prep for these is really minimal. As a matter of fact, I think the most difficult thing for beginners is wrapping the burrito! For more substitution ideas: try these with veggie sausage, bacon, or dairy-free cheese inside.
Check out the breakfast/brunch category on Coined Cuisine for more ideas like these. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our email list (see the bottom of the page) to get a free copy of my 5 for $5: Breakfast Prep Edition where I compiled some of my favorite quick and easy meal prep breakfasts all in one place!
Other Meal Prep Breakfast Ideas
Southwest-Style Sausage Breakfast Burritos
- 6 oz. ground chicken sausage
- 4 oz. bell pepper & onion mix
- 2 oz. frozen chopped spinach
- 4 ct. eggs
- ½ tbsp. taco seasoning
- Mexican-style cheese for wrapping
- 6 ct. tortillas
- In a large skillet, add the ground chicken sausage, bell pepper & onion mix, and chopped spinach.
- Let the sausage cook for about 8 minutes, chopping it up into small pieces.
- Crack the eggs on top of the mix and season with the taco seasoning.
- Stir everything together and cook just until the eggs are no longer runny. Remove from heat.
- Add your cheese to the bottom of a tortilla. Top with 1/6 of the filling mixture, then wrap the burrito. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Serve alongside your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy!
- To freeze, ensure burritos are completely cooled. Wrap in parchment paper and/or aluminum foil. Store the burritos in a gallon-sized freezer bag and label with the date. To reheat, remove wrappers and poke with a fork. Microwave 1-3 minutes or until warm.I love to microwave for about 1 ½ minutes, then crisp it up in the air fryer to finish. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per burrito: $1.24
- Total Cost (6 burritos): $7.44
- Those Other Guys: $8.99 per serving