Let’s get into these Southwest-style chicken sausage breakfast burritos. As you can see by the picture, we’re not skimping on fillings here.
You guys should know by now that during the weekdays, I like to have a pre-prepped breakfast ready to go. It’s way more filling to eat a hot, balanced breakfast vs. just a piece of fruit or something; but I usually don’t want to spend 20 minutes prepping & washing dishes before work!
Breakfast burritos are one of my favorite weekday breakfast recipes. You can customize them to keep variety, they can be made meat/dairy-free, and they freeze & reheat so well! Heat these babies in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and serve with some hot sauce for a super satisfying meal that will carry you over to lunch.
Today we’re going to be making southwest-style sausage breakfast burritos (are you surprised? I love anything Mexican-inspired!) with chicken sausage instead of pork. Using frozen veggies, the prep for these is really minimal. As a matter of fact, I think the most difficult thing for beginners is wrapping the burrito! Try these with veggie sausage, bacon, or fresh spinach inside.
For more quick & easy breakfast recipes, check out the breakfast/brunch category on Coined Cuisine. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our email list (see the bottom of the page) to get a free copy of my 5 for $5: Breakfast Prep Edition where I compiled some of my favorite quick and easy meal prep breakfasts all in one place!
Southwest-Style Sausage Breakfast Burritos
- 6 ct. eggs
- 4 ct. chicken sausage
- 6 oz. bell pepper & onion mix
- 4 ct. tortillas
- In a large skillet, add chicken sausage patties and cook for about 8 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Chop up sausage into bite-sized pieces.
- In the same skillet, sauté bell peppers and onions until softened.
- Add sausage back to the pan. Crack eggs on top and scramble to your liking. Season with taco seasoning & red pepper for a little kick.
- Add 1/4 of filling to a tortilla and wrap tightly. Repeat with the other 3 tortillas.
- Serve alongside your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy!
- To freeze, ensure burritos are completely cooled. Wrap in parchment paper and/or aluminum foil. Store burritos in a gallon-sized freezer bag. To reheat, remove wrappers and microwave 1-3 minutes or until warm.
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per burrito: $1.24
- Total Cost (4 burritos): $4.96
- Those Other Guys: $4.99 per serving