Imagine: You have a craving for sweets, but no motivation to make something from scratch. Walking into your kitchen, you find – a box of cake mix! Well darn, you don’t really want cake… you’re thinking something smaller and portable. Hold on to your hats, people; I present to you, these Birthday Cake Mix Cookies!
What is in a regular box of store-bought cake mix? Pretty much the basics – flour, sugar, leavening agents; the base to a lot of baked goods. I figured, why not turn this cake mix into a chewy cookie?
One of my favorite dessert flavor profiles is “birthday cake”; or, a yellow/white cake with sprinkles. It just feels so festive, and you can really do what you want with it. Vanilla ice cream, chocolate frosting, a big purple glaze? Almost anything goes great with birthday cake flavor.
Since I had yellow cake mix in the pantry, I had to try a birthday cake flavor for my first cake mix cookie recipe. (I also keep sprinkles on deck… you never know when you need a celebration.) These babies are sooo good!
The key to success is to chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Honestly, the longer I left the dough chilled, the better the cookies turned out. You want to bake them until slightly browned (but make sure they are done in the middle!)
By keeping your dough portioned out around the same size, and slightly pushing down on the dome if they are too round, you end up with a delicious, light cookie made with almost no effort!
Birthday Cake Mix Cookies are about to be my new jam for the next week. Next, I have to experiment with a chocolate version, strawberry version, or my absolute favorite – cookies and cream! Until then, try out my chewy one-bowl oatmeal cookies next. You can also try these strawberry cheesecake cookies from my friend over at Truffle Nation – they are absolutely divine!
Give these cookies a try the next time you have some cake mix in your kitchen but don’t really want a full cake. We could all use some rainbow sprinkle joy in our lives!
Birthday Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 ct. eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tbsp sprinkles
- Add dry cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract to a large bowl. Mix until thouroughly combined.
- Stir in your sprinkles.
- Let the dough chill for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Use a cookie scoop or a tablespoon to portion out the dough onto a cookie sheet prepared with non-stick spray. Slightly press down on the tops of the dough circles.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 – 12 minutes, until slightly browned but cooked through. Let rest for 1-2 minutes. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving (3 cookies): $0.28
- Total Cost (24 cookies): $2.22
- Those Other Guys: $3.99 per cookie