Have we, as a collective, finally decided to give chewy oatmeal cookies their flowers?
As a child, I remember getting weird looks from my friends when I would tell them how much I loved oatmeal desserts. I mean really, oatmeal cookies are delicious – whether plain, with raisins and walnuts, or even chocolate chips!
In an attempt to feel healthy while satisfying my sweet tooth, I whipped up some of these chewy, one-bowl oatmeal cookies. My favorite type of cookie is one that is almost not baked all the way (hard & crispy cookies, get out of my life!) and the step of creaming the butter and sugar really makes these cookies super soft and chewy.
I’m normally super impatient when it comes to things like this, but be sure to chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. These cookies are also great for freezing ahead! Simply portion out the cookie dough (I use a miniature ice-cream scoop) onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Set the cookie sheet in the freezer until the cookie balls are solid, and then store in a large freezer-safe Ziploc bag. You can bake straight from frozen, adding about 5 more minutes to the cooking time if necessary.
Chewy Oatmeal Cookies (One-Bowl!)
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar light or dark
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 ct. eggs
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups rolled oats
- In a large bowl, beat butter with a hand or stand mixer on medium-high speed, about a minute.
- Add in both the brown and granulated sugar and cream on medium-high speed (about 2 minutes.)
- Add the eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and beat until just combined.
- Slowly add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Pour in oats and stir with a large spoon. Your dough should be thick.
- Cover the dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes; this helps avoid spreading while baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with silicone baking mats or spray with non-stick spray.
- Scoop cookie dough and place about 3 inches apart on the baking sheets. Pro tip: to have picture-perfect cookies of similar size, use a cookie scoop or small ice cream scoop!
- Bake for about 11 minutes until lightly browned. The trick here is to slightly under-bake because the cookies will finish baking on the pan after being taken out of the oven. The middle of the cookies will look super soft.
- Take out of the oven and let cookies cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet. This is usually as long as I can wait to eat them; but if you have more patience than me, transfer to a wire rack so they can cool completely. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost (about 40 cookies): $5.16
- Total Cost per cookie: $0.13
- Those Other Guys: $1.50 a cookie