There’s nothing like Chicken Pot Pie to really warm up your soul. However, it’s a bit heavy to eat at times because of the pie crust/biscuits. My solution? Make my Chicken Pot Pie Soup as a very capable substitute! It’s warm, filling, perfectly seasoned, and even dairy-free!
Let’s get into this Chicken Pot Pie Soup. It’s always on rotation in my household – that’s just how great it is!
The weather has finally moved on from the sunny, warm seasons that I love. It’s been rainy and chilly outside, UGH. The only redeeming qualities of weather like this honestly revolves around food & comfort: hot cocoa, a big blanket, fuzzy socks, and soup!
I love a good soup recipe, year-round. And when I had a craving for pot pie (but didn’t really want a whole bunch of bread) I thought why not make it into soup form??
- Red Potatoes – To help bulk up this soup, I like to add chopped red or yellow potatoes. They are a great way to make your meal more filling!
- Frozen Peas & Carrots – Now you definitely can chop these up yourself if you really want to… but I personally think the bag of veggies gives it a nostalgic vibe in terms of flavor. And it saves you some prep time!
- Coconut Milk – I’ve used coconut milk/cream for almost all of my soups as a lighter, dairy-free way to get that creamy texture that you really need from a soup.
- Shredded Chicken – I just used some leftover Rotisserie chicken for convenience. But, you can actually grill your own chicken and chop it into cubes if you want!
Make this creamy chicken pot pie soup when you have no energy to put together a meal. You can use a rotisserie chicken that’s already cooked and seasoned for you, and basically dump all your ingredients into a pot while it does the work for you. This can be made in a slow cooker or a normal soup pot.
I beefed it up with the addition of potatoes since I don’t have any pie crust on top to make sure you’re satisfied. (Normal pot pie should not both have crust and potatoes – period!) Red or white potatoes are fine; the main thing is to be sure you chop them into bite-sized pieces.
And did I mention this is completely dairy-free? Another lightened-up recipe thanks to the power of coconut milk. If you’re allergic to coconut, just sub with another non-dairy cream option or heavy cream if you don’t mind dairy.
For those of you doing a Fall/Winter Whole30 (I just may join you…) add this to your meal plan! And even if you’re not, make this anyway! Let me know in the comments: are there any other soups you love and would like to see on Coined Cuisine?
Other Super Easy Lunch Ideas!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup (Non-Dairy!)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 5 ct. red potatoes chopped small
- 2 tsp Adobo seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chopped basil
- 12 oz. frozen peas & carrots
- 1 cup shredded chicken seasoned
- 13.5 oz. coconut milk
- 1 ct. bouillon cube
- Heat a large pot on medium heat and add the vegetable oil.
- Add red potatoes to the pot and season with adobo seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and a bit of basil. Pour in the frozen veggies and sauté for about 10 minutes.
- Add your seasoned shredded chicken and pour in the can of coconut milk. Fill the empty can with water, and pour that in. Add your bouillon cube and stir until fully incorporated.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings to your preference. (I add a couple shakes of hot sauce here.)
- After it begins bubbling, turn heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes or so to fully incorporate all your flavors. Your potatoes should be fork-tender as well.
- Serve on its own or with a biscuit to imitate the pot pie experience. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $2.81
- Total Cost (2 bowls): $5.62
- Those Other Guys: $12.99 per serving