Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Rods are one of my favorite treats to bring to parties. They are so tasty & addicting, plus you can decorate them in any theme you want. Halloween, Valentine’s Day, Christmas… the creative options are endless!
Okay – it’s time for another Halloween recipe on Coined Cuisine. Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Rods. Or as I like to call them (at least the spooky season version): Magic Wands! These are incredibly easy to make, you really just dip pretzel rods into your favorite flavor of melted chocolate and decorate to your desire.
I first had these babies all the way back in middle school. One of my friends threw a Halloween party for our class, and her mom was that type of mom that went above and beyond on some middle schoolers.
On the party table, she had this huge stack of chocolate-dipped pretzel rods… and she called them Magic Wands. I probably ate 10, and then couldn’t shut up about how great they were. (I talked so much about them, that a few days later, my friend bought a whole gallon Ziploc bag of Magic Wands to school – just for me!)
Years later, these are still such a yummy and easy treat. You can really make them anytime (Valentine’s Day with red food coloring and heart sprinkles, Christmas with green food coloring and themed sparkles – you name it!), but we’re going to make Halloween-themed ones today.
Don’t feel too pressured with the decorations on these; I promise they don’t have to be perfect! You can color your dipping chocolate green/purple/orange, or leave them plain as I did. Top with sprinkles, chopped candy, Oreos, or anything you want. The best part is that this whole recipe comes together in about 20 minutes (including chill time)
Happy Halloween! And for more chocolate-dipped treats, check out my 4-Ingredient Halloween Oreo Truffles.
How to Quickly Dip Pretzel Rods in Chocolate
A few tips on making these super successful and look absolutely gourmet:
- You want to melt your chocolate correctly. If you’re using chocolate chips like this recipe, melt in 30-second increments (it’s a bit harder for chocolate chips to burn.) If you have melting chocolate bars, start by melting them for 20 seconds, then stir and continue to melt in 10-second increments until everything is smooth.
- Pouring the melted chocolate into a tall, skinny glass or cup makes for a perfect, even dip.
- Decorations are key! If you’re adding anything like sprinkles or crushed candy, make sure to sprinkle it on the dipped pretzels before the chocolate dries fully – that way everything sticks. If you’re making drizzle designs, it’s best to let the first layer of chocolate dry before drizzling on any extras.
- Finally, have fun! You can color your white chocolate using food coloring for a cool twist. Also, play around with different designs and patterns. This is a great activity to do with the kiddos!
Magic Wands (Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods)
- 1 bag chocolate chips dark or milk chocolate
- 1 bag chocolate chips white chocolate
- 1 bag jumbo pretzel rods
- decorations see recipe for suggestions
- Pour chocolate chips into two tall mugs or bowls.
- Heat in the microwave in 30-second increments, until fully melted.
- Dip the pretzel rods into the melted chocolate, going about halfway down the rod. Place on a plate lined with parchment paper.
- Decorate with sprinkles, crushed Oreos, chopped candy, and more chocolate drizzles. (If drizzling on more chocolate, let the first coat set before adding a top layer.)
- Let the Magic Wands set in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Happy Halloween!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $0.96
- Total Cost (6 servings): $5.75
- Those Other Guys: $9.99 per serving