Roasted sweet potatoes couldn’t be easier to cook – and my recipe for Baked Sweet Potatoes with Chai-Spiced butter really takes a fun spin on a versatile side dish! Top your potatoes with sweet or savory options… the choice is yours.
Next time you’re looking for an easy side dish for dinner, consider baked sweet potatoes! Sweet potatoes are filled with tons of fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin A – so you can feel great about fueling your body. Baked sweet potatoes are very hands-off, so it’s easy to stick them in the oven and focus on cooking the rest of your meal (or having a glass of wine… no judgement.)
- Sweet Potatoes – The star of the show! Pick out some solid sweet potatoes from your local grocery store, and don’t forget to wash & scrub that extra dirt off of the skin.
- Butter – You can make homemade butter, but we’re going to use a shortcut and start the compound butter recipe with store-bought butter. I usually grab a more quality brand than store-brand for recipes like this.
- Chai Spice – If you have a homemade spice blend, go with that – otherwise, grab a trusted spice blend from the store or online. I used this brand from Amazon.
The Best Way to Bake Sweet Potatoes
Let’s get into a few tricks to make your baked sweet potatoes the best. First off, make sure you thoroughly wash the outside and scrub with a towel or vegetable brush. Potatoes come from the ground, so you don’t want to cook & taste that dirt!
Poke your sweet potatoes with a fork all around. This allows steam to escape so the potatoes don’t explode.
Add the sweet potatoes to a foil-lined pan, but don’t wrap them all the way up in foil… that actually steams the outside and makes the sweet potato skin really mushy and hard to properly serve.
Simply bake for 45-50 minutes, and that’s it! You’ll be able to stick a fork in the middle very easily.
While the sweet potatoes are roasting, you can make your toppings and the chai compound butter. This is one of my favorite side dishes just because of how hands-off it is.
Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
- Chai-Spiced Butter + Bacon + Cinnamon + Honey
Southwest Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Ground Beef/Turkey + Bell Peppers + Onions + Taco Spice + Monterey Jack Cheese + Sour Cream
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Seasoned Chicken + BBQ Sauce + Red Onion + Fresh Parsley
Other Easy Sides You’ll Love!
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Chai-Spiced Butter
- 4 ct. sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp. salted butter
- 1 ½ tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ tbsp. chai spice blend
- Start out by washing the outside of your potatoes and piercing them all over with a fork.
- Add the potatoes to a foil-lined baking sheet – don't wrap the potatoes!
- Bake the potatoes at 400°F for 45 minutes. A fork inserted in the center should come out smoothly.
- Meanwhile, set your butter on the counter until it's softened.
- Whisk in the brown sugar and chai spice blend. Using a whisk helps get the compound butter nice and fluffy. Add the butter to the refrigerator to chill.
- Once the potatoes are done, remove from the oven and slice down the middle.
- Add your favorite toppings – I served this with crispy chopped bacon, fresh parsley, sea salt, and the compound butter for a sweet + salty element. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $1.73
- Total Cost (4 servings): $6.91
- Those Other Guys: $9.99 per potato