These Crispy Chipotle Chicken tacos are highly addicting – and for good reason! We take juicy chicken thighs, marinate them in a sauce made from chipotle peppers, and stuff them in flour tortillas before grilling in a hint of oil. You get a crunchy, golden brown exterior with a spicy chicken interior. It’s simply divine!
When you try these Crispy Chipotle Chicken Tacos, you literally won’t want to make tacos any other way! I’ve finally figured out the perfect way to make a quick taco dinner and it’s so tasty, even without any store-bought taco seasoning. And let’s be honest, I think we can all agree that grilled chicken > shredded chicken in a taco…
- Chicken Thighs – Chicken thighs are going to have the best flavor, so be sure to grab a pack of skinless, boneless chicken thighs. However – I’ve used chicken breasts in this recipe with just as much success!
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce – These are the star of the show and the main ingredient in our marinade. I use La Costeña brand for the perfect amount of spice.
- Shredded Cheese – Use whatever shredded cheese you have on hand: Mexican blend, colby jack, mozzarella, etc.
- Flour Tortillas – Flour tortillas are slightly thicker than their corn cousins. These tacos also resemble mini quesadillas, so flour tortillas are the best vehicle. Corn tortillas will work if you have nothing else.
- Chopped Cilantro – Just to add a little green to this meal. I’ve also chopped fresh parsley in a pinch!
To make these low-carb or Whole30, omit the cheese and use jicama wraps instead of tortillas.
Try topping these with my 5-Minute Mango Salsa for a sweet-heat flavor!
I like to stuff these with Cilantro-Lime Rice or black beans for a bit of bulk.
For the best flavor, do at least 45 minutes – but I love to marinate mine overnight in the fridge.
Rotisserie chicken is fine! If using pre-cooked, shredded chicken, just skip the marinade process and coat the meat in the sauce while cooking. Add a bit of water to the pan as well to avoid the chicken drying out.
To a pan pre-heated on medium-high heat, add a bit of oil and some of the marinade for color. Add the filled taco and grill for 5-6 minutes, flipping once. You’ll create a beautiful golden-brown crust with a cheesy inside!
For this recipe, you want to use street-size or fajita-sized soft tortillas. Anything bigger will work fine, but I normally cut the bigger ones into thirds or quarters.
Other Mexican Food You’ll Love!
- Shrimp Jicama Tacos (Whole30!)
- Mexican Street Corn Salad (Esquites)
- 5-Minute Chunky Homemade Salsa
- Creamy 5-Minute Homemade Guacamole
- Spicy Shrimp Burrito Bowls
Crispy Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- 7 oz. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground red pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 ct. boneless, skinless chicken thighs chopped small
- 1 package street taco flour tortillas
- shredded cheese of your choice colby jack, mozzarella, etc.
- fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Blend the chipotle peppers, garlic, chicken stock, olive oil, and seasonings until it forms a paste.
- Add the chopped chicken and chipotle marinade to a large freezer bag. Marinate for at least one hour, up to two days.
- Cook the chicken and its marinade in a large skillet on medium heat until cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Assemble tacos with cheese, cooked chicken, and chopped cilantro. Fold over into half-circles.
- In the same skillet, add about a tsp. of olive oil and some of the sauce from the chicken.
- Fry the tacos on medium heat until golden brown and crispy. Serve hot with my cilantro-lime rice. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per taco: $0.53
- Total Cost (12 tacos): $6.37
- Those Other Guys: $4.99 per taco