I just love that closeup of my Non-Dairy Creamy Mushroom & Spinach Rice. It tells you everything without saying a word, haha.
The weather in Georgia is slowly but surely starting to cool down, and that means food tastes will be changing as well.
Fall is the beginning of utilizing more hearty, comforting flavors as well as turning on your oven more. But the biggest change I make in Fall is simplifying my meal preparations even more than usual.
Part of it is because my body is so attuned to the weather; when the sun goes down earlier in the evening, my energy levels drop right along with it. So who really has time to finish an entire day of work and spend more hours cooking and cleaning in the kitchen for dinner?
This is one of my favorite Fall meal ideas. It’s filled with veggies, hearty but not heavy (the lack of dairy helps out a lot!), and a one-pot masterpiece – so fewer dishes to deal with and way less effort to put it together!
Make this creamy mushroom & spinach rice for a last-minute vegetarian dinner, or beef it up with a protein like shredded chicken. Like all my dishes with coconut milk/cream, don’t be afraid of the ingredient; after adding your savory seasonings, I promise it won’t taste sweet! This can also be used as a side dish, although I frequently eat it as is on Meatless Mondays! Try subbing the rice for quinoa or cauliflower rice if you’re feeling fancy.
One-Pot Creamy Mushroom & Spinach Rice (Non-Dairy!)
- 8 oz. white mushrooms sliced
- 12 oz. spinach chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 ct. bouillon cube*
- 1 ½ cup water
- ¼ cup coconut milk**
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat a large pot on medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add sliced mushrooms and chopped spinach to the pot and sauté for about 5 minutes until mushrooms are browned. The spinach will release water as it cooks down; drain any excess.
- In the same pot, add basmati rice, water, and bouillon cube. Add a bit of black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme to season.
- Let the mixture get to a boil. Then cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes. Make sure you do not remove the lid before this so your rice can steam thoroughly!
- Fluff rice and stir in coconut milk. Taste, and add any additional seasoning as necessary.
- Serve as a side dish or a main veggie-packed entrée. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $1.22
- Total Cost (4 servings): $4.87
- Those Other Guys: $6.99 per serving