I just love that closeup of my Non-Dairy Creamy Mushroom & Spinach Rice. It tells you everything without saying a word, haha.
The weather in Georgia is slowly but surely starting to cool down, and that means food tastes will be changing as well.
Fall is the beginning of utilizing more hearty, comforting flavors as well as turning on your oven more. But the biggest change I make in the Fall is simplifying my meal preparations even more than usual.
Part of it is because my body is so attuned to the weather; when the sun goes down earlier in the evening, my energy levels drop right along with it. So who really has time to finish an entire day of work and spend more hours cooking and cleaning in the kitchen for dinner?
This is one of my favorite Fall meal ideas. It’s filled with veggies, hearty but not heavy (the lack of dairy helps out a lot!), and a one-pot masterpiece – so fewer dishes to deal with and way less effort to put it together!
Make this creamy mushroom & spinach rice for a last-minute vegetarian dinner, or beef it up with a protein like shredded chicken. Like all my dishes with coconut milk/cream, don’t be afraid of the ingredient; after adding your savory seasonings, I promise it won’t taste sweet! And don’t forget the thyme – that ingredient really takes the flavor profile to another level.
This can also be used as a side dish, although I frequently eat it as is on Meatless Mondays! Try subbing the rice for quinoa or brown rice if you’re feeling fancy.
One-Pot Creamy Mushroom & Spinach Rice (Non-Dairy!)
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ ct. minced shallot
- 8 oz. white mushrooms sliced
- 6 oz. spinach frozen & chopped (no need to thaw)
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ct. bouillon cube
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup coconut cream**
- ½ cup coconut milk**
- Heat a large pot on medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add minced shallot, sliced mushrooms, and chopped spinach to the pot and sauté for about 5 minutes until mushrooms are browned.
- In the same pot, add the rice, dry seasonings, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well.
- Pour in the water, coconut cream, and coconut milk. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Let the mixture get to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for about 20-25 minutes. Make sure you do not remove the lid before this so your rice can steam thoroughly!
- Fluff rice. Serve as a side dish or a main veggie-packed entrée. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $1.22
- Total Cost (4 servings): $4.87
- Those Other Guys: $6.99 per serving