One of my favorite easy meals for Mexican night at our house: Ground Chicken Tacos! We take some ground chicken/chicken mince, add our favorite taco seasonings, and top with tons of fresh veggies and avocado crema. I love these so much more than the beef taco variety!
Most people know that I rarely eat beef, and I reserve my self-allotted pork “budget” for real bacon. So when it comes to tacos, it’s always either chicken, seafood, or some vegetarian option. I’ve also spoken before about why ground chicken is one of my favorite things – it’s cheaper than ground turkey, lighter than beef, & still flavorful. Well, a recipe for Ground Chicken Tacos was definitely overdue on Coined Cuisine!
It’s not really anything fancy going on for this recipe. You guys know how to make a taco. I really just wanted to highlight the ease of cooking the ground chicken. Also, if you’re like me and are ready to eat as soon as everything’s done, don’t worry about assembling tacos for everyone in the family. Simply store all of the separate ingredients in serving bowls, and let each person customize their taco the way they want to eat them!
I always love lettuce blend, pico/tomatoes, cotija cheese, and avocado chunks if I have them in the fridge. Feel free to top however you like!
So for now, we have a Whole30/seafood taco recipe and a ground chicken recipe. What’s next? Should I show you guys how to make a juicy steak into decadent tacos? What about a vegan/vegetarian version? Let me know in the comments.
Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
I have strayed away from buying pre-made taco seasoning as of lately because the homemade stuff tastes so good. You probably have most (if not all) of these seasonings if your cabinet! Just mix everything up and store any extras in a sealed jar.
- 1 tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- a pinch of Cayenne Pepper (optional, if you like spicy!)
More Mexican Recipes for Taco Tuesday!
Mexican Street Corn Salad (Esquites)
Crispy Chipotle Chicken Tacos – We make this fan favorite every other week!
Ground Chicken Tacos
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning plus more, to taste
- ½ ct. red onion
- 1 ct. tomato
- ⅓ head romaine or iceberg lettuce
- ¾ cup cotija cheese crumbled
- fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 pack corn tortillas street taco size
- avocado crema optional
- Cook the ground chicken on medium heat until completely cooked through, about 15 minutes. Season mixture with taco seasoning to your taste preference.
- While the meat is cooking, chop up all of your veggies and store them in serving bowls. Finely chop the cilantro for garnish.
- Removed cooked meat and set aside. Don't drain any excess liquid.
- In the same skillet, warm up the corn tortillas on both sides.
- Finally, assemble tacos (or simply set out all of the meat, veggies, and cheese and let your family do the hard work!) Serve with lime slices and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
Craving more? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, Tiktok, and Pinterest
for even more money-smart meals!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $1.78
- Total Cost (4 servings): $7.12
- Those Other Guys: $14.99 per serving