Crispy Smashed Potatoes HAVE to be the next side dish on your dinner plate! They have a fluffy interior with a crisp crust, plus tons of garlic-herb butter for that next-level flavor combination. But just a warning: smashed potatoes are highly addictive and you’ll clear your plate before you realize it!
These Crispy Smashed Potatoes did not last long in my house when I made them. And the second time. And the time after that. They are really just that good! Smashed potatoes are officially my new favorite weeknight dinner side dish – and once you make them, they’ll be yours too… promise.
A few weeks ago, I got tired of eating potatoes the same ways for dinner (fries, mashed, baked, etc…) and really just wanted a different vibe for my side dish. Well, this turned out to be everything I could ask for.
Crispy on the outside, still fluffy and warm on the inside; seasoned perfectly, and just the right (healthy) amount of butter – omg! Not to mention how cheap the entire recipe costs for about 4 servings. I quickly had to add this to my rotation of go-to side dishes.
How To Make Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- To make the perfect Crispy Smashed Potatoes, we’re going to start by boiling our washed petite gold potatoes until they are fork-tender. After they cool for a few minutes, slice them in half and assemble them on a prepared baking sheet.
- Here’s the fun part: Smash all of the potatoes into discs; the flatter, the better. I normally use the bottom of a sturdy mug, but you can also use a really strong fork. You want to smash them but make sure they are still whole enough to be picked up.
- Drizzle the butter and olive oil on top (this combination ensures maximum crispiness and flavor!), then season well with the below herbs. From there, you simply bake for about 35 minutes and they are ready to go! Fluffy and soft on the inside, but crispy and crunchy on the outside. They are perfection! I can’t wait to hear how you guys love these.
Other Vegetarian Dishes You’ll Love!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- 1 lb. bag petite gold potatoes
- 2 tbsp. butter melted
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Wash potatoes. Boil in a large pot of salted water for 15 minutes, or until they are fork-tender. Let potatoes cool for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 390°F. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice each potato in half (or thirds if they are really big.) Add them to the prepared baking sheet.
- Using the back of a cup/mug, smash the potatoes. You want them to be flat, but try to avoid breaking them apart as much as you can!
- Stir together the melted butter, olive oil, and seasonings.
- Using a pastry brush, add the mixture to the top of the potatoes.
- Bake the smashed potatoes for 35-40 minutes. Potatoes will be crispy and golden brown. Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving: $0.71
- Total Cost (4 servings): $2.83
- Those Other Guys: $9.99 per serving