Want to make crispy chicken wings but don’t want to deep fry in a bunch of oil? Look no further than my Crispy Oven-Baked Wings! You get tons of flavor with a juicy inside and crispy crust in less than an hour – plus the cooking is hands-off.
Y’ALL. Get into that crispy skin – no frying required.
These crispy oven-baked wings are so crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Bursting with flavor, and not even requiring a lot of prep, I was mind-blown that these came out so well just by baking!
The key is to take party-sized wings and dry them off really well before seasoning, coat with baking powder, then roast them at a high temperature – keep reading below for my trick that you’ll use for the oven.
The only “special” item this recipe requires is a wire rack – normally used for cooling baked goods. Even if you don’t bake a lot, I suggest grabbing one because they have so many other uses in the kitchen.
I can’t wait for you to try these super tasty wings (and feel free to toss them with your favorite sauce, of course – see some of my recommendations below.)
How to Make Crispy Chicken Wings in the Oven
I perfected this recipe for oven-baked wings and you won’t need any other way to make them after that! Baking them is great because you use lots of less grease as opposed to deep frying, plus you don’t have your entire kitchen smelling like old oil!
A few keys to success:
- You want to make sure you pat the wings dry before seasoning and baking. If you buy the frozen party wings and defrost them, make sure you DON’T skip this step!
- Toss the wings in baking powder before you throw them in the oven.
- There are two-piece baking pans that come with a rack and the pan… this is essential to perfect crispy-baked wings that are juicy on the inside. While they bake on the rack, the extra juices drain to the pan below it and avoid that soggy texture we don’t want.
- High heat! 400°F is the perfect temperature to crisp up that skin without burning.
- Split the cooking time; you want to cook them for 20 minutes on the lowest oven rack, then flip, and bake for the remaining time on the highest oven rack.
When you follow my techniques, you get perfect crispy-baked wings each and every time that hold up to any type of wing sauce! If you would rather air fry your wings, I also include temperature and time instructions for that method in my lemon pepper wet wing recipe linked below. Don’t forget the homemade ranch!
Wing Sauce Ideas
- Lemon Pepper Wet – one of Coined Cuisine’s most popular blog recipes!
- Sweet Chili Jerk – the perfect sweet heat chicken wing sauce!
- Buffalo – can’t go wrong with a classic!
- Garlic Honey Soy – I can eat this sauce on anything!
Other Tasty Game-Day Recipes You’ll Love!
Crispy Oven-Baked Chicken Wings
- 28 ct. chicken wings (party sized)
- 2 tbsp. McCormick roasted garlic & herb seasoning
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- Add the wings to a large bowl and pat them dry (take your time to do this thoroughly – the drier they are, the better!)
- Sprinkle the garlic & herb seasoning, garlic powder, and smoked paprika on the wings. Toss wings to ensure equal coverage.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap or a lid and let the seasonings marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add the baking powder to the wings and toss once more.
- Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet and spray the rack with non-stick spray. Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil to catch any drippings.
- Add the seasoned wings on the wire rack. It's okay if they are a little snug on the rack; they shrink while cooking.
- Bake the wings on your lowest oven rack for 20 minutes. Flip the wings, then cook for the remaining 20 minutes on the highest oven rack.
- Remove them from the oven and serve. This seasoning makes wings taste amazing on their own but you can also toss them in your favorite sauces (see above for my suggestions.) Enjoy!
The Coined Breakdown
- Total Cost per serving (6 wings): $2.01
- Total Cost (28 wings): $7.04
- Those Other Guys: $15.99+ per serving